Thursday, May 31, 2007

Fahrenheit451- #3 mood

*what is the mood of this novel? do you find this novel saddens you in any way? why?

Actually, I didn't like this book very much because of the mood of the book. Mood in this novel is very depressed and dark, just like any other distopian novels. Compared to '1984' by George Orwell it is less darker, but I took long time to get adjust to the atmosphere of the novel. Especially, I thought that the part where depicts about Montag's wife, Mildred, made me depressed and sad. That part simply gave panic to me. Since Ray Bradbury wrote this book to warn people about future, I think his purpose is well shown. Through the overall dark and depressed atmosphere, I could easily realize that author is trying hard to warn people about importance of books and seeking the truth. 'Fahrenheit451', this whole novel was sad to me. I couldn't stop feeling bad about people in the novel. I was quite surprised and sad at the fact that people were not able to see any truth. They don't even try to seek the truth and just thinks all they see is true. However, truth may not always be seen. It can hide in some false information, or it cannot be totally seen. In my opinion, it is human's responsibility to evaluate the information and decide whether it is true or not. However, in this novel, people lost their ability (or right) by mass media. Therefore, I was very sad that peoples' right was being ignored.